60 Plus One
My daughter and I just came back from the shoe show in Las Vegas. I can’t believe I have been to 60 + 1 shoe shows in my life! This does not include accessory or other shoe shows in NY, Dallas, LA, and Mexico. I have NEVER missed a shoe show in the entire time I’ve been in business; not when my father died, not when I went through my divorce, not even when I was recovering from cancer.
Whenever we go to Vegas, we always run into the buyers and owners of Street Feet and On Your Feet. When I see them at the airport I always think, “Oh geez, hopefully nothing happens to our plane, otherwise Santa Fe will be out of cool shoes for at least one season”! I gotta say, we all work to bring you the best the shoe industry has to offer!
1. I always carefully plan my wardrobe for market, only to find out that I forgot to pack what I REALLY WANTED TO WEAR!
2. My daughter and I promise ourselves we’re going to eat healthy but we end up eating chocolate, Jolly Ranchers, nuts, and coffee. Never any healthy food to be had inside the convention center.
3. I wake up early, 5am, and I go to the gym with my best intentions to work out only to see the woman working out next to me is super hot and super stacked, which makes my good intentions feel worthless!
4. So I move, and this super hot man comes next to me. He is running like the roadrunner in the cartoons. Although I am working out, at 5am, I don’t look my best.
5. When I head back to my room it is inevitable that as hard as I try to remember my room number, the truth is I don’t! My real workout ends up being running through the halls trying to find my room!
6. Arriving at market, I realize nothing that was in fashion last season means anything this season. My head spins like the girl in the movie The Exorcist.
7. I always drink so many lattes that if there was a machine to detect the caffeine, I’d be in jail! I drink lattes like Popeye eats his spinach!
8. Paula and I are always either laughing uncontrollably or arguing about something as we walk through the aisles….but in Spanish!
9. We’ve watched each other age through the years.
10. Many of us have gone through divorce, loss of a spouse, or our dear ones, the birth of children. So here we are hugging, sharing our losses, and pictures of our children and grandchildren.
Heading back home always feels good. All of us buyers and owners of retail in New Mexico are back on the same flight. This time we no longer look fresh, we look like we’ve been run over! But we also all look accomplished. Next year’s shoes already selected and on their way, mission accomplished! I commend them for that, and I love me for that!
Have you been to Market? Can you share some stories with me?